Friday, February 8, 2008

Grace and PopPop's Birthday Cake



I made this cake last night for my cousin Grace's 8th birthday. It was a combined party for Grace and my PopPop. We had 8 small candles for Grace and a big "8" and "2" for Poppop.

I used a friend's "Ho Ho Cake" recipe for the cake portion. Instead of frosting the cake with chocolate like the recipe and "ho ho's", I used buttercream so that I could make it pretty. The polka dots are made out of fondant and dusted with silver sparkly dust. It didn't show up too well in the pictures or in person.

Ho Ho Cake:

1 Box Devil's food Cake Mix

1 Cup Water

1/2 Cup Oil

4 Eggs

Mix well and pour into three round cake pans. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Cool well.

Filling:

1 8oz Cool Whip

1 8oz Cream cheese (softened)

2 Cups 10x sugar

Beat cream cheese with sugar. Fold in Cool Whip. Spread between cake layers.

Spread 1 can of chocolate frosting* evenly over entire cake. Refrigerate.

*I've made this cake previously with chocolate butter cream frosting. I'm sort of against canned frosting.

No comments: